Administration Officer-One Vacancy Based in Moroto-Re-advertised (Open to Uganda Nationals Only)
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps is an international non-profit organization which implements high-quality, analytical development programs in very difficult places. Mercy Corps has been operating in Uganda since 2006. It has and continues to implement programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub regions. Mercy Corps is taking a community-led, market driven approach to address poverty and food insecurity needs through interventions that get to the root causes and contributing factors of economic vulnerability. Donors include the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), DFID, MasterCard Foundation, WALMART Foundation, Coca Cola Africa Foundation, US Depart of State (DOS) /PEPFAR, ECHO and Nike Foundation.
General Position Summary
The Administration Officer will be responsible for providing oversight to the management of human resources and administrative support for Mercy Corps programming in Moroto Office, assist in the achievement of MC program objectives with the facilitation of recruitment, orientation, management of staff database, office supply, staff travel and accommodation, and general administration issues in the HR / Administration /Operations Department.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Support the program with all MC Administration logistical arrangements
- Actively contribute to the office strategic planning process and provide regular updates.
- Interface with stakeholders and local partners in a manner consistent to the program team in terms of paperwork and documentation of goods.
- Build and maintain productive relationships with all staff, stakeholders, vendors, partners, etc.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Develop the capacity of his/her team and assist with continued development of a career path for his/her staff.
- Work closely with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of MC Staff handbook, Administration and Warehousing policy.
- Work with finance compliance to mitigate fraud, conflict of interest and legal ramifications of Mercy Corps
- Adhere to Mercy Corps mandated, procedures and controls including: Field Administration, Field Procurement, Logistics, Asset Management and Finance procedures.
- Offer support in training and orientation of new staff in those procedures.
- Prepare and implement guidelines for support functions of the reception, photocopies, translation services, office cleaning and maintenance.
- Ensure proper functioning and maintenance of the office and guesthouses equipments like photocopiers, printers, Cookers, fridges etc
- Facilitate timely payments for electricity, water, DSTV and any other related bills for the facilities.
- Responsible for maintaining an accurate inventory of office supplies to include stationery, Consumables and Cartridges/Tonner.
- Overall responsible for all travel and accommodation arrangements for Mercy Corps Guests and staff in Moroto.
- Responsible for managing maintaining confidentially an appropriate and up to date filing system including the following; Staff/personnel files, Employment & Service contracts, leave database, stock/inventory files, staff meeting minutes
- Assist in collecting monthly staff timesheets.
- Work closely with the respective supervisors prepare staff position description, recruitment processes & contracts,
- Actively participate in disciplinary actions, hiring and termination meeting for the Moroto office as necessary, advise staff (national and international) on disciplinary procedures.
- Prepare and attend staff general and coordination meetings and compile the minutes as discussed and agreed upon by chairperson/supervisor.
- Assist in conducting or arranging for trainings and or other human resource development activities.
- Support in managing stores and shipment deliveries, and movement of documents and supplies.
- Administer all health insurance issues for Moroto staff as well as follow up on staff Identity Cards, Medical cards and business card issues.
Finance & Compliance Management
Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to food security programming.
Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary Supervisory Responsibility
The following Mercy Corps staff: Guards, Cooks and Office Cleaners,
Reports Directly to:Moroto Operations Manager.
Works Directly with:Logistics, Procurement, Human Resources, Finance and Program staff of all MC Uganda offices.
Ethics and Integrity
All Mercy Corps staff are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelors degree in Human Resource, Business Administration, Social Work, Public Administration, Education, or other related field.
- At least three years experience in a similar position and or similar roles preferably with International Non-Government Organization and in a multi-cultural environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in human resource management, particularly in a multi-cultural environment, including techniques for staff development, training, motivation, and disciplinary handling.
- Very good writing and communications skills.
- Good negotiation, representation, skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, ability to transparently manage stores, filing, and meet deadlines, work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Proven ability to innovatively solve problems.
A clear understanding of Administration as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of program activities is necessary.
How to apply:Submit your application through email firstname.lastname@example.org to the Human Resource Director, Mercy Corps Uganda. Include a cover letter clearly stating your salary requirements, CV (with 3 referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates.Deadline for Submission:Close of business onFriday, 19thOctober, 2018.Subject of email should include the position you are applying for.Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.Please note that this is a re-advertisement, earlier applicants need not to re-apply.