Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Operating in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has field offices in Kitgum, Pader, Kotido and Kaabong and implements programs that cover a wide variety of program sectors including food security, health/nutrition, water/sanitation, peace building, youth, agriculture, and econ development
GOVERNANCE AND ADVOCACY TEAM LEADER – 01 VACANCY (BASED IN KOTIDO)-RE-ADVERTISED
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: Mercy Corps implements high quality- analytical work in tough environments. We’ve been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently manage a range of programs in Acholi, West Nile and Karamoja sub-regions with funding from a host of donors. In October 2017, Mercy Corps was awarded a 5 year USAID/ Food for Peace- funded program working in 4 districts in Karamoja (Amudat, Moroto, Kotido and Kaabong), the Apolou Activity
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: The primary focus of the Governance and Advocacy Team Leader will be to strengthen horizontal and vertical linkages of formal and informal governance structures in Karamoja with the aim of mobilizing communities, building governance capacity for improved nutritional outcomes and ensuring governance structures are inclusive. The Team Leader will support the development, integration and implementation of the Apolou advocacy strategy while helping to raise awareness of program activities with governance structures, strengthening policy and budget allocations which support Apolou’s objectives
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS Monitoring & Evaluation
- In close coordination with the M&E team design and implement M&E protocols and procedures to ensure accurate reporting of data against program indicators.
- Include governance related learning questions to the Apolou learning agenda and support data collection, analysis and write up of this data.
- Ensure that governance related indicators are integrated across all Purposes of Apolou. Compliance
- Ensure the Governance and Advocacy Team members are compliant with USAID rules and regulations.
- Support the Governance and Advocacy Team to understand and adhere to Mercy Corps policy and procedures, in particular related to finance and operations. Documentation & Knowledge Management
- Develop a system for the team to regularly document activities, success stories and administrative issues (e.g. distributions or transfer documentation) in soft and hard copy.
- Regularly monitor the document management system to ensure compliance.
- Contribute to reports for Mercy Corps and its donor. Review and compile report sections from team members.
- Generate and share success stories Staff Management
- Directly line manage three Governance and Advocacy Officers, encourage formation of a cohesive team for effective implementation.
- Identify training opportunities for team members and provide strategic guidance in support of their professional development.
- Work collaboratively with other sectors, departments and staff across Apolou and the Mercy Corps Uganda team.
- Develop and execute a strategy for roll out of Community Mobilisation through Resilience Action Committees across four districts of implementation.
- Drive sustainability around Resilience Adaptation Committees helping to operationalize community level Resilience Action Plans
- Maintain up-to date understanding of the national and local- level policy environment, including donor initiatives and funded activities and public budgeting processes, timelines and prioritization.
- Integrate governance initiatives across all Purposes (WASH, Livelihoods and MCHN) of Apolou providing technical guidance for improved nutritional outcomes.
- Develop and execute a strategy to increase representation and participation of women and youth in leadership committees (WUCs, Peace Committees etc.)
- Roll out trainings to improve women’s leadership capacity.
Representation and Coordination
- Liaise with local government officials, local CSOs and NGOs, local religious leaders and others to ensure support for and acceptance of Mercy Corps.
- Maintain close working relationships with donors, other humanitarian and development organizations, and local partners, including representing Mercy Corps at local coordination meetings as required.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
Ethics and Integrity:
- All Mercy Corps staff members are expected to behave ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination. KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor or Advanced Degree in Governance, Law, Civil Society Development or related field.
- 4+ years of experience focused on governance and civil society development in Karamoja.
- Experience supporting Community Mobilization processes and building inclusive governance structures.
- Team management and training skills are strong assets.
- Excellent negotiation and representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse team of staff and local partners in a sensitive environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including both in English and local languages.
- Effective skills in organization, prioritization and team management.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including Excel.
- Knowledge of Nga’karimojong language and culture is an added advantage.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda to: email@example.com. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Tuesday, July 31st 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a re-advertisement, earlier applicants need not to re-apply.