Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Operating in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps has field offices in Kitgum, Pader, Kotido and Kaabong and implements programs that cover a wide variety of program sectors including food security, health/nutrition, water/sanitation, peace building, youth, agriculture, and econ development
SENIOR ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT OFFICER– 02 VACANCIES (BASED IN MOROTO AND AMUDAT).
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: In October 2017, Mercy Corps was awarded a 5 year USAID/ Food for Peace- funded program working in 4 districts in Karamoja, the Apolou Activity. The Activity has four purposes with cross cutting themes of gender and youth and resilience: 1) Inclusive and effective governance contributes to food and nutrition security, 2) Improved health and nutritional status of pregnant and lactating women, children under five, and adolescent girls, 3) Improved WASH conditions and 4) Adolescent girls, adolescent boys, women and men access diverse and secure livelihoods through improved capacities and strengthened market systems. Apolou is implemented by a consortium of actors led by Mercy Corps, including Save the Children, Whave Solutions, four local partners (KAPDA, AIDI, NARWOA and Riam Riam) and Tufts University’s Feinstein International Centre (FIC).
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: The primary focus of the Economic Empowerment Senior Officer will be to support the roll out of economic empowerment training at individual level by the Officers within their assigned district. Activities will focus on two populations: Groups of pregnant and lactating women and male change agents building life skills, access to finance, and business development skills. The second population will be a cohort of youth. Youth will be initially engaged by Save the Children in intensive life skills and general economic development curricula. Senior Officers are responsible for ensuring quality of trainings by Officers and service contractors, compliance of all activities and standardization across and within teams.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS STRATEGY & VISION
- Support the Economic Empowerment Manager in the developing the training strategy and implementation work plan, moving from a direct service delivery model to an integrated approach embedded in local private sector/government delivery mechanisms
- Coordinate with the MSD, Gender and Youth, MCHN and Adolescent team on program implementation to leverage synergy and maximize impact
- Coordinate the activities of Officers and service contractors to ensure training and mentorships are delivered on a timely basis and in line with best practice
- Provide technical support and quality control checks for skills building trainings, troubleshooting challenges, and standardizing implementation approaches in delivery of Livelihoods messages
- Support the cultivation of PLW/CU2 and adolescent micro scale businesses as a means to sustainable economic empowerment and poverty reduction
- Contribute to team reporting, data collection, cash projections and other administrative needs as necessary
- Directly supervise team of Officers, with accountability for entire Livelihoods training team (inclusive of Officers and service contractors), mentoring the team in order to build technical capacity and ensure best practice in implementation as well as adherence to Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures within assigned district
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence. SECURITY
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Represent Mercy Corps’ approach at key government, coordination and advocacy platforms and ensure coordination with other youth and PLW/CU2 training program as necessary ETHICS AND INTEGRITY:
- All Mercy Corps staff members are expected to behave
ethically and demonstrate highest integrity in their professional and personal life. Mercy Corps has zero tolerance to any form of fraud, corruption, abuse, harassment or exploitation. Any breach of our policies or misconduct will lead to disciplinary action or may lead to termination. KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Bachelor degree in Agribusiness, Rural Development and Agricultural Extension, Agriculture Economics, Community Development, Project planning and Management or any other Business related fields. Postgraduate degree on earlier mentioned disciplines is a plus
- At least 5 years of related professional experience in youth/gender skills building or employability
- Experience in Team management and team building
- Experience in savings, financial empowerment or functional adult learning a plus
- Experience with private sector financial institutions or income generating activity experience a plus
- Demonstrated skills in data collection, verification and documentation
- Proven skills in networking, team-building, community consultations and organizational development;
- Excellent reporting, communication and representation skills
- Willingness to consider new perspectives, promote gender equality and engage in advanced gender training
- Fluency in Nga’Karamojong required
- Motorbike riding permit required
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for Submission: Close of business on Friday, July 27th 2018. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corps. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer; qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.